"I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for He is right beside me." Psalm 16:8



Friday, September 9, 2011

simple smiles and magic bubbles

This week my clinical group was encouraged to think about how an ordinary nurse can do something extraordinary.  As this resonated with me in clinical this week, I was thinking on the broader spectrum of things- more heroic.  And then, without even realizing it, I learned how to do just this - how to go beyond ordinary in the smallest of things.  These small things may consist of stickers, coloring pages, stuffed animals, video games, fish, and lastly bubbles (in pediatrics, they are seriously like magic)  :]  I've realized that as a nursing student -especially in pediatrics- I can get so caught up in trying to do the "nurse-y" things and forget about how important it is to recognize the smallest of needs in the little ones.  I've realized how traumatic it is for a toddler to have to be hospitalized, and how much I can do as a nurse to ease that fear.  It made my day just to see my precious little one compose the smallest of smile.  Today I felt that rewarding feeling, the one that makes all the studying and paperwork and lack of a social life (hahaa) worth every minute of it.  Today I was proud to be a nursing student, knowing that even while I am still writing SLUSN behind my name, I have the power to make a difference in a child's life.      

Love y'all!
-Aimee

No comments:

Post a Comment