"I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for He is right beside me." Psalm 16:8



Wednesday, April 13, 2011

broken from the insde out

Hello faithful readers.  It's Aimee.  Tonight I'm writing to you with a heavy heart.  Before I get ahead of myself, let me explain.  For a few years now, I have been following this amazing life-changing inspiring journey of a girl's ministry/life in Africa through her blog.  Well tonight, she posted something that really hit home for me.  After a mission trip to South Africa the Summer of 2008, I have always dreamed of going back after nursing school to care for the broken people in the rural areas in which we served.  -All of this will come together in a minute, promise.-  So after reading Katie's post tonight, God reminded me of an aspect of nursing that isn't taught in school or found in any nursing textbook.  The people who I take care of have a story, some may be more broken than others.  As a nurse, my job is to help fix what's broken on the outside.  But as a Christian, my job is to help fix what's broken on the inside- and I know that this is only possible through Christ Jesus.  What better opportunity do I have to show the love of Christ to someone who is hurting on the inside more than their physical pain on the outside.  -yet another reason why I love nursing!  This has been a really crazy and defeating week of nursing school but I am so thankful that God has used Katie's amazing yet heart-breaking posts to show me that there is more to nursing than just textbooks and tests.  I am slowly coming to the realization that nursing is an open opportunity to invest in the lives of your patients, to let them know that you care for them when the world seems to turn away.  That nursing is an opportunity to show my patients God's love, but most importantly to have the opportunity to lead someone to have a personal relationship with Jesus.      

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."    
Matthew 11:28-29

Link to Auntie Katie's blog:  http://www.kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment